* 1/2 cup mung dhal (split hulled mung beans)
* 4 cups water
* 1/4 cup diced carrot
* 1/8 cup diced parsnips
* 1/8 cup diced white daikon
* 1/4 cup diced asparagus (tops and tender stalks)
* 1/4 tsp turmeric
* 1 tsp cumin seed
* 1/2 tsp minced fresh ginger
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 1/4 tsp black pepper
* 1 tsp chopped cilantro
* 1-2 tsps ghee
* Rock salt to taste
1. Wash the mung dhal. Add water, carrot, parsnips, asparagus stems, daikon and turmeric to the dhal and cook until dhal is tender. Stir occasionally and remove any scum that forms on top.
2. Add salt, black pepper and ginger to cooked dhal.
3. Heat the ghee until it is clear.
4. Add the cumin seed and stir briefly to release aroma and flavor. Reduce heat to medium, add the powdered coriander and asparagus tops, stir for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
5. Pour the ghee-spice mixture over the dhal. Stir.
6. Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.