Preparation Time: 45-50 minutes
Kitchen Equipment: Blender
* 2 cups carrot, peeled and thin sliced
* 1 cup coconut milk - fresh, canned or packet mix
* 1 Tbsp. rice flour
* 3 pinch saffron
* 1 tsp. rosewater
* 1 Tbsp. cucumber seeds
* 1 Tbsp. Pumpkin seeds
* 1 tsp. coriander seeds
* 1/4 cup white pumpkin, chopped medium
* 1 cup onion, chopped medium
* 1/2 tsp. fresh garlic paste
* 1/2 tsp. fresh ginger paste
* 1/4 tsp. fresh nutmeg shavings
* 1/2 cup water
* 2 Tbsp. sunflower oil
* 2 cardamom pods
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 green chili
* 1/2 tsp. Garam Masala (see recipe for this masala in MUNG SOUP RECIPE above)
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
* 1/2 tsp. raw sugar cane or jaggery (unrefined sugar available in Indian grocery stores)
1. Clean, peel and slice or chop the vegetables.
2. Fine chop or pound garlic cloves and fresh ginger root to make paste.
3. Soak saffron threads in rosewater.
4. Prepare coconut milk. See recipe for fresh, or use directions for packet mix. In a medium pan, bring a small amount of water to the boil and add sliced carrots. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
5. Mix chopped pumpkin and onion with cucumber, pumpkin and coriander seeds, garlic and ginger pastes, and nutmeg shavings or powder.
6. Add mixture to blender with 1/2 cup water and grind to make gravy.
7. In the blender or a large bowl, blend coconut milk and rice flour into the gravy until the mixture is smooth.
8. In a deep pan, heat sunflower oil.
9. Add carrots, cardamom pods, bay leaf, garam masala powder and chili. Mix well and simmer at least 5 minutes.
10. Remove the chili.
11. Add gravy and stir over low heat.
12. Season with salt, lemon juice, saffron rosewater and sugar.
13. Let the curry simmer for a few more minutes until the gravy thickens and begins to coat the carrots.
The dish above – Carrot Coconut Delight is very nourishing. It improves tissues in the body (Dhatu) and is very tasty and easily digested. It reduces the doshas of Vata & Pitta and improves the digestive fire.
This food is mainly taken for muscular degeneration and for general weakness and fatigue. It is also useful for eye problems.