Lately I have had a lot of patients being diagnosed with intestinal permeability issues. It is the issue of our time (along with adrenal fatigue, which goes hand in hand with leaky gut). Many of these folks have been overwhelmed with the lifestyle changes that need to be made to heal the gut lining. Others get frustrated with having to take supplements, and still others get mad about how long it takes to heal this issue. I thought I would lay out the problem in a blog so frequently asked questions could be answered. First, what is the gut lining anyway?
Functions of Intestinal Mucous Layer (Mucosal Layer):
The mucous layer, also referred to as the mucosal layer, is a very thin one cell thick wet area that lines the intestinal walls, lungs, eyes, nasal cavities and vaginal wall. It serves the following functions:
- Protective barrier-protects and covers mast cells that contain histamine
- Activate enzymes
- Secretes antibodies made from the intestinal wall
- Prevents yeast and parasites from adhering to the intestinal wall
Events Leading To “Leaky Gut Syndrome”:
The mucous layer becomes damaged due to the below causes and triggers mast cells lining the intestinal wall to release histamine and other inflammatory cells that lead to inflammation. This causes the inflamed intestinal wall to become “leaky” or permeable and large molecules that normally would require further digestion are absorbed through the intestinal wall into the blood stream. This leads to your body’s immune system attacking these large molecules and causing an allergic reaction to food. Depending on your genetic make-up, this can increase the risk of developing asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, eczema, psoriasis, possibly other immune disorders and cortisol/adrenal issues due to the massive inflammation of the intestinal wall.
Causes of Damaged Intestinal Mucous Layer:
- Gluten Intolerance (testing can be done using the ALCAT test)
- Chronic stress – Stimulates cortisol from the adrenals which destroys the mucous layer
- Steroids – e.g. prednisone and cortisone
- Certain antibiotics
- Parasites/dysbiosis of the GI tract
- Chronic use of nonsteroidals
- Crohn’s Disease and other severe inflammatory bowel disorders
- Chronic yeast overgrowth
Treatments for “Leaky Gut Syndrome”/Gluten Intolerance
Leaky Gut Protocol
- Follow only the green food column on your ALCAT test for 6 months.
- You can speed this process up by doing AURA PTL Laser therapy 12 session sensitivity protocol. The fastest you can do this is M-W-F and the slowest is once a week.
- When the 6 months are over (or when 12 sessions of laser completed) begin adding one food at a time from your yellow column back into your diet for 4 days each food. If you have no reaction keep the food and add another for 4 more days. If you have any of the following symptoms, stop the food immediately and wait until later to try again:
- Gas or bloating
- Change in bowel pattern or stools
- Rashes or any other skin inflammation
- Decrease in energy
- Trouble sleeping
- Change in mood
- Change in hair
- Painful joints or muscles
- Head aches
- Take the following supplements for 6 months:
- DAO Hist: 2 twice a day
- DGL 1 twice a day
- Cats’ Claw 1 tab three times a day with food
- Glutathione 2 at bedtime on an empty stomach
- Take the following supplements for a year:
- L-Glutamine 6 gms powder in water twice a day on an empty stomach
- Take the following supplements for the rest of your life:
- Probiotic 1 twice a day on an empty stomach (with your L-Glutamine)
- Vitamin D 5,000 IU/day (depending on your blood levels)
- Fish Oil 2 gms/day
- Bio-Multi-Minerals 1 three times a day
- You may need to use Apple Cider vinegar 1 TBSP before each meal and/or a digestive enzyme before each meal.
- Colon hydrotherapy weekly for 6 weeks and then monthly will help heal your gut more quickly.
- Use fennel seeds ¼ tsp (raw) to chew on after meals as a digestive aid.
- Eat ginger with meals as a digestive aid.
- Drink warm lemon water each morning to wake up your digestion.
- Do the colon transit time test to see how you are doing with digestion every other month.
- If your stools are hard or you don’t have at least 1-2 banana shaped brown stools a day regularly use Triphala 2 tabs twice a day and Mag Citrate 1 cap three times a day until you do.
- Far Infrared Sauna 30 minutes 2-3 times a week.
- See Erin for nutritional consultation.
- Do the APOe genetic test to determine geno type for long term food intake.
- Watch the movie, “Genetic Roulette”.